Friday, October 3, 2014

Taking the SNAP Two-Day Challenge

In honor of Hunger Awareness Month, I decided to participate in the SNAP two-day challenge on September 30th and October 1st . The challenge calls for living off of the average value of a food stamp recipient's benefit, which is $4.50/day. I will discuss my background in regards to hunger as well as my experience taking the challenge below.
_________________________________________________________________________________

When I was 14 years old, I filled out a food stamp application for my family so we could have the means to eat three meals a day. This is something I don't like discussing most of the time, not necessarily because I am embarrassed, but because the issue of food welfare is riddled in politics, with complete disregard to the most disturbing statistic I know of...

About 21,000 people die of starvation every day

This statistic comes from the United Nations World Program and stands as a stark reminder of how lucky we are to live in a food-rich country.

I understand the life of a food stamp recipient. I began this challenge remembering the plethora of emotions which filled my heart as a young high school student, finding a way to provide for my disabled mother and sister when my father and elder brother were not present. With this known, I approached the challenge wanting to see again the struggles of those who face food insecurity, so I could have a more well-rounded passion when discussing the issue of hunger and starvation in the future.

So, to discuss the challenge, I found it quite difficult, starting on the very first morning....

As I woke on Tuesday morning, I realized, to live off $4.50 per day, I could not purchase a coffee or other caffeinated beverage as I had grown so accustomed to as a senior in college. Maybe it sounds ridiculous, but it was actually quite difficult! It's funny to think how complacent we can become in regards to spending throughout our daily routines. I estimated that I spend a whopping $500 a year just on those beverages alone! That could pay for over 100 days worth of food for the average food stamp recipient.

As I went through my somewhat altered routine in regards to meals, one factor stood out above all the rest, even more than the astounding costs, the quality of my food was reduced significantly.

Below is an image of what I consumed during the challenge.


Yes, I understand, these look like the average college "goodies," and truly, they aren't all bad, especially when you consider the good deals I found (the cost of the food items totaled $8.65 w/tax). The bananas and cereal are actually quite healthy and the Spaghetti O's provide almost two servings of vegetables and plenty of protein. 

What I found in regards to a reduction of quality though, was the lack of wholesome meats and grains. 

Yes, I could have made more unique choices, found some sales with whole grain, maybe even some discount chicken or pork, but considering my budget, it was hard to get the math right. 

Money has been much better for me since my days as a recipient. I am blessed with a full-ride scholarship and a great part time job, so I am able to enjoy far more luxuries than I can ever remember. (No, I am not feasting on my favorite cut of steak everyday, which happens to be the New York Strip, but you understand what I am saying) 

With these luxuries, I am able to purchase more wholesome protein, like that from Tyson chicken or high quality whole-grains like those from Knorr pasta. On the SNAP budget, I simply wasn't able to do that.

I understand some recipients receive more than others, especially those with kids, but making these decisions is challenging regardless of funds. 

As an advocate for agriculture, with the issue of hunger directly relating to this SNAP challenge, my concluding thoughts circle around two questions...

How are we communicating the benefits of our best products to those with limited buying power?

What are we doing to improve public knowledge related to the only factor which can end hunger... agriculture? 

As I return to my more luxurious budget, as I am so blessed with today, I will remember this challenge and the real life challenge I faced years before it. I myself will ponder the two questions I am left with and ask all of my fellow agriculturalists to do the same.

I hope in some way, we can improve hunger awareness by standing firm on the only foundation able to actually end it. Agriculture. 


-John L. Hawley




Sources:

Hunger and World Poverty Sources: United Nations World Food Program (WFP)OxfamUNICEF.

No comments:

Post a Comment